Thursday 19 August 2010

Could you 'Eat Local' for an entire week?

The local Transition group has launched a challenge:  can you eat locally produced food for a week?

http://teigntransition.org.uk/eat-for-devon/#comment-87

The week starts this Sat 21 August and there are more details on their website - this is a South Devon challenge at the moment.

It's a really interesting proposition and I'm certainly keen to take the challenge myself, but will be postponing it for a week and doing it the following week.  Looking forward to the fish, meat, cheese, fruit part of it....but am rather worried about missing out on bread and pasta.  I guess it depends how strictly you follow the challenge - should we eat bread that was made in Devon but the wheat came from Canada?  I think the whole idea of the challenge is not to be too dogmatic, but just to really consider where each item comes from and to see what percentage of our normal diet is locally sourced.

3 comments:

Choclette said...

Sounds like a great idea. You could compromise and eat bread made locally with UK flour. Or make your own bread of course with some Devon flour. Is there any Devon flour? We have local flour - grown and milled at Cotehele Mill.

Angie said...

Well, I live in North Lincolnshire and I doubt we could live entirely local for a whole week, nice though it would be. I don't think I could afford it for a start.

Grazing Kate said...

Choclette - I ended up eating 'Cornish' for the week as we went and visited The Lizard. There is an amazing bread producer there called Hope's Bread and we feasted on her amazing loaves - you would have been inspired by her baking I'm sure - the most interesting was a lavender and honey loaf. We have a mill in Devon called Otterton Mill (a great place for lunch too!) but I believe the wheat is grown elsewhere.

Angie - I think price is a huge factor in eating locally - it can be more expensive to eat local food particularly when producers are small scale or organic. I buy as much local food as I can, but let's face it, we're always going to need some bananas, coffee, tea, Weetabix, Marmite and ketchup. If you pick carefully, and choose seasonal food, it can be cheaper - locally produced spuds or strawberries can be good value, but our diet would be a bit monotonous if we just ate the one or two prolific food stuffs. What is grown in N Lincs - I confess that I haven't a clue!

Featured post

Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival 25 September - 1 October 2017

South Devon’s third year of the most exciting celebrations of local produce is Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival.  This f...