Saturday 21 May 2011

Sticky Pecan Big Buns from Cornwall - Hope's Bread

These are worthy of a blog post all to themselves.  I'm not supposed to eat nuts, so I picked them all off and passed them to my other half, so used my imagination to add them to the overall delight of these sticky, enormous, calorific, doughy wonderful delicacies.  Bearing no real resemblance to a French Pain aux Raisins, these little beauties have soft sticky thick toffee sandwiching the soft spiral together and then slightly harder, more toffee-apple crunchy bits in places.  £1 - total bargain - these are big buns! No wonder I put on weight when I visit Cornwall!


We were lucky enough to be in Cornwall at the right time for the Gweek Food and Craft Fair at Easter.  They seem to have one at Easter and one over the August Bank Holiday.  Next one is Bank Holiday Monday 29 August  2011.

 The village hall where it is held may be small, but it's packed with fantastic local food producers like Sargies (puds, meringues and lemon curd); Treveador Farm Dairy, producers of Helford White, possibly my favourite cheese in the world;  and the wonderful Hope's Bread.  Hope's produce can be found at most West Cornwall Farmer's Markets during the week and at other special events - see the website  Here's the lovely Hope of Hope's Bread who makes the splendid sticky cinnamon buns....oh and just a few different types of bread (the lavender and honey bread is yummy as toast, and the olive focaccia was the perfect accompaniment to lunch outside in the sun with a glass of wine):


All the producers were located within a few miles of Gweek, a small creekside village famous for its Seal Sanctuary (Top Tip: Use your Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for entry fees) and near the town of Helston.  See you there on August Bank Holiday!

8 comments:

Janice said...

mmm those buns look lovely and sticky.

Unknown said...

I had one of these on Friday! Hope comes to Penzance Farmers Market and I always buy one of her wonderful breads. Her dedication in amazing; she makes everything herself ( all night) then drives miles to sell it all and stays happy and delightful even after no sleep!
Great post Kate.

Grazing Kate said...

Thanks, Janice and Liz for comments.

Liz, I'm glad you're already aware of Hope and her bread - you're v lucky to be within her vicinity - I can only have her produce when I'm on my hols in Cornwall! And yes, I think it makes it even more special that she's such a lovely happy and enthusiastic person.

Choclette said...

Thanks for the tip on Hope's bread. Hadn't come across her before, but will remember when next we're down that way. September holidays roll on - well maybe not too fast!

Chantal said...

I always put on the pounds when I visit Cornwall too!

cornercottage said...

I think I'm in love with a bun! Great post!

Grazing Kate said...

Choclette - Hope is well worth seeking out - esp as you're in Cornwall - there must be a farmer's market near you that she visits.

Chantal - it's dreadful isn't it? I always think that with all the sea air and being outdoors I'm being active and healthy - in reality: eating too much!

Hanna - thanks, they really are as good as they look....

Grazing Kate said...

Thanks, Carolyn, I'll sort that out this week - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Featured post

Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival 25 September - 1 October 2017

South Devon’s third year of the most exciting celebrations of local produce is Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival.  This f...